Wednesday 6 June 2012

Focus On - Lily Donaldson & Alber Elbaz

Another thing I will be doing on this blog is my 'Focus On' post which looks at a certain model or designer. The model I have chosen for my first post of the series is ..............

Lily Donaldson
(Spanish Vogue May 2012: Alexi Lubomirski - Photographer, Belen Antolin - Fashion Editor/Stylist)

Agencies
New York - IMG
Paris - IMG Paris
Milan - IMG Milano
London - Storm Model Management

Born on January 27, 1988 in the United Kingdom & discovered in 2003 at the age of 16 in Camden. Years later, her face has featured in ad campaigns for Dior, Jil Sander, Dolce & Gabbana and she has been the face of Gucci and Burberry.

      
      
(British Vogue March 2011: Lachlan Bailey - Photographer, Miranda Almond - Fashion Editor/Stylist)

The thing I love most about Lily is her face, she has so many great angles her jawline is beautiful and she really knows how to position her face to get the most striking pictures.

(Vogue Japan July 2010: Josh Olins - Photographer, Charlotte Stockdale - Fashion Editor/Stylist)

The first time I really took notice of Lily was during the Lanvin Fall 08 RTW show. She walked down the runway with a screwed up face and was so different to any model I had seen before, I then found out that she was the muse of Lanvin designer Alber Elbaz. So it only makes sense that the designer we focus on today is..............

Alber Elbaz
(Alber Elbaz Backstage at the Lanvin Spring/Summer 2009 Show)

  • Alber is the creative director for Lanvin, a post he has held since 2001 prior to that he was, 
  • Creative director of French couture house Guy Laroche in 1996. 
  • Designed women's RTW for YSL in 1998. 
  • He then went on to work for Krizia Italy but left after three months. 
  • In 2010, he created a high street collaboration collection with H&M. 

(Frida Gustavsson in Lanvin Spring/Summer 2011 Ready-to-Wear)

I love this guy his designs are so amazing, I know I use that word a lot but he is truly a great designer. Alber once said “I am here to make her look and feel good about herself.” and I feel that is exactly what he does with his one shoulder gowns and taffeta trenches. I found this quote by Simon Doonan, the creative director of Barneys New York “Alber’s clothes are like crack,” and I could not agree more because I feel like once you have worn one of his pieces you will always want more. To me he is like a poet who tells a story with his collection and everything rhymes so well, that sounds so cheesy but it's truly how I feel every time I see one of his collections.

(Jac in Lanvin Spring/Summer 2012 Ready-to-Wear)

My favourite collections of Alber has to be the Fall 2008 RTW. The way he took strips of ribbon to create beautiful dresses, skirts & blouses was pure genius and this was a really great Fall Collection because it had every piece you could possibly need, from plain wool day dresses and pantsuits to luxury fur and patent coats and his signature asymmetric body-molding cocktail dresses. This collection was so great that I have to put it in 'Ronnie O's Fashion Hall of Fame'. Enjoy.


No comments: