Monday 25 June 2012

From YSL to SLP????????

 
 
(Sorry about my SLP graphics, as you can see that is not my strong point.)

The name Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) is being changed to Saint Laurent Paris (SLP) for the  Ready-to-Wear collections.

I'm sorry but I don't like this name change. Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) is such an iconic name and I associate it with sophistication and elegance and I feel like Saint Laurent Paris is just a little bit generic. I mean I love Paris as much as the next person but Mr Yves Henri Donat Mathieu-Saint-Laurent created the fashion house and he put his name on it and I feel like it should be left the way he made it.

A spokesperson for Yves Saint Laurent's creative director Hedi Slimane, said 'he was drawing inspiration from 1966, when the ready-to-wear line was launched as Saint Laurent Rive Gauche'. That's all well and good but I would like to point out that was one collection.

I don't know maybe I'm just being over the top, but I love that name. Maybe the new name will grow on us and we will forget it was ever called Yves Saint Laurent, but I doubt it especially since they are keeping the name Yves Saint Laurent for handbags, lipsticks and shoes. We will see how it goes but for now I think I will keep using the name Yves Saint Laurent.

(Yves Saint Laurent was founded by designer Yves Saint Laurent and his partner, Pierre Bergé in 1962, and the current logo was created by the graphic designer Cassandre. The logo makeover, to be presented with Slimane's first womenswear collection this autumn.)


No comments: